You dont need to starve or endure strict diets to achieve your weight loss goals. You simple need to eat healthy, which also doesnt require you to eat dull foods that do nothing but ruin your appetite. Its far better and more beneficial to eat enjoyable meals with fewer calories to help you transition comfortably from unhealthy to healthy food. This velvety sweet potato and apple soup recipe does exactly that.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 pounds medium sweet potatoes (about 3), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 3 apples (such as Granny Smith or Pink Lady), 1 peeled and chopped and 2 thinly sliced
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 cup blue cheese, such as Gorgonzola or Stilton (4 ounces )
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 16 crackers or crostini
1. Put a large pot over medium heat and heat the oil. Add the onion. Cook with the ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper while stirring occasionally until the onions are tender. This takes about 6 to 8 minutes.
2. Add the chopped apple, sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, nutmeg, and water. Cook it to a simmer while covered until the sweet potatoes become tender. This should take between 12 and 15 minutes.
3. Transfer the mixture into a blender in small batches and puree until its smooth. You can add water to achieve your desired consistency.
(An alternative: Use a handheld immersion blender to puree the mixture in the pot)
4. Serve the soup with sliced apples, walnuts, crackers, and blue cheese.