A dish which reminds one of the warmth of home & the mum’s secret recipe. It is a perfect dish for any get-togethers – family gatherings, friends potluck, or a celebration at the office. A quick & simple dish to prepare, with versatility to how you want to adjust the taste, based on the palates of those you are treating. It will certainly be a mouth-watering moment, when the gratin is first out of the oven. Guaranteed.
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 pound russet potatoes
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cups non-fat milk (or regular milk if you are desiring more richness)
- 2 pinches of salt & pepper
- 8 ounces freshly shredded cheddar cheese + ¼ cup for topping
- 2 pinches of paprika, for garnish
- cup of fresh chopped chives or parsley, for garnish
Preparing before Cooking:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F and grease a 13″x9″ baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Clean skin of potatoes and place them, whole, with skin, into the boiling water. Cook for 20 minutes.
3. Remove from the water and have the potatoes sit until cool.
Preparing the Cheese Sauce:
4. While waiting for the oven & potatoes to be ready, the cheese sauce can be prepared. Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat. Introduce flour with whisk and cook, keeping constant whisking throughout, until flour is golden brown. This will take about 2 minutes.
5. Stir in milk to the now golden brown flour-butter mixture, stirring often. It should thicken within about 3 minutes.
6. Remove milk-flour-butter sauce from heat and stir in shredded cheese.